Year 1910

Historic Preservation Commission
Responsible for safeguarding the City's historic and cultural heritage, and the development of public support and the location and identification of historic structures and historic distrricts. The Commission consists of seven members including one Council member. Members serve a three year term.

Designate
Historic Site

Tour of the Oakland-Dousman Historic District and the Broadway Area

Hiberina House - Peter Shaugnessy (1874)

1- Hiberina House - Peter Shaugnessy (1874)
409/411 N. Broadway


Early hotel building with semental arch window throughout excepting the large, square arch display windows across the first floor front for the hotel entrance and two store fronts.

Hoffman House Hotel (1875)

2- Hoffman House Hotel (1875)
401/403 N. Broadway


Older hotel building with single cornice with inset brick panels forming a freize below. All windows on the second floor have segmental arches with corbelled brick hoods and retain their original 2/1 light configuration. First floor windows are identical in form but taller. There is a corner store in the southeast corner of the building with the original display windows facing Broadway now boarded over.

The Larsen Company

3- Larsen Company
316-500 N. Broadway


The Larsen Company began in 1882 as a small wholesale fruit and vegetable business owned by William Larsen. By 1890 he had opened a small canning plant called the Larsen Canning Company. The plant was located next to Chicago & Northwestern Railroad for easy access to shipping. When William Larsen died in 1922, his four sons took over the business and renamed it the Larsen Company. The business greatly expanded with new buildings added all the way down to the 500 block of Broadway . The buildings date from 1917 to 1950.

Chicago & Northwesstern RR Depot (1898)

4 Chicago & Northwestern Railroad Depot (1898)
202 Dousman

This Italian Renaissance Revival Style passenger depot has been a visual focal point for several generations of Green Bay citizens. Built in 1898, this neoclassic structure is an exquisite example of a small city railroad depot. The combination of hip roof pavilions with a gable roof wing as well as a lengthy passenger veranda are all accentuated by a distinctive 5-story clock tower.

Fort Howard Historical Marker

4a- Fort Howard Historical Marker
128 Dousman


A large boulder exists here with an affixed bronze memorial tablet which states, "853 feet, North
45 degrees, 7 minutes East, from this tablet, stands a flag pole, marking the South-west corner of the Stockade of Fort Howard, occupied by United State Troops August 1816, and almost continuously until 1852. On this site also stood the French Fort St. Francis built prior to 1719 and rebuilt by the British in 1761 as Fort Edward Augustus... Erected by the Green Bay Historical Society 1909"

Alexis de Torcqueville

4b- Alexis de Torcqueville Marker

No photo available

4c- Site of the Blesh Brewery (1856) Unmarked
145 Pearl


Francis Blesch opened his first brewery on the site where the Larsen Company now stands. When this building burned down in 1856, he relocated the business to Pearl Street. It was also the only brewery located in Fort Howard. It went out of business sometime in the late 1870's around the time of Francis' death. The original brick exterior of the building has since been covered in tin and painted red.

Old King Village

4d- Old King Village (1816)
210 W. Walnut

"18th century, Old King Village of Cha-ka-Cho-Kama, Grandfater of noted Menominee chiefs, Oshkosh and Tomah, was located on this tract extending three blocks south. Chief Tomah, representing his Grandfather, went forth to confer with officers on the first landing of American troops on August 7, 1816.
Erected by Jean Nicolet Chapter, D.A.R.

Paul Jones Saloon & Restaurant (1883)

5- Paul Jones Saloon & Restaurant (1883)
112/114 S. Broadway


The original cast iron storefront window frame remains in place on the left of the building front.

Albert Gray Building

6- Albert Gray Building (1899)
100 S. Broadway


This Queen Anne style commercial building was built in 1899. Heavy quarry-faced Ashlar stone foundation and first floor beltcourse with thinner quarry-faced ashlar stone beltcourses used to define first floor secondary window sills and second floor window lintel and sills. The building involves extensive use of brick molding and pilastering to frame various building elements such as doors and windows to add decoration to the facade.
See more photos on this building

West Theatre

7- West Theatre (1922)
405 W. Walnut


This small theatre is an example of the Art Moderne Style, which is evident in the smooth wall surface, flat roof, and horizontal emphasis. Many small theatres that operated during this time showed silent films prior to the development of sound pictures in the late 1920's. The theatre operated into the late 90's.
To the right of the theatre, at 40-415 Walnut stood the Music Hall built in the 1890's. Located on the second floor, it was used for dances, band concerts and public meetings. A liquor store and a few small businesses occupied the first floor. A fire destroyed the building on November 5, 2010, however no loss of life incurred.

First Baptist Church (1873)

8- First Baptist Church (1873)
122 N. Chestnut


The church originally organized on the east side of Green Bay in 1851 and met in a school room there until 1854. At this time, they moved across the river to Fort Howard and met in a school room there. A small church was built in 1863 but finally, in 1873, they were able to build this larger church. Much remodeling has since been done including a major addition in 1908. Although the parish is no longer at this location, the building is still functional.

J.L. Jorgensin building (1879)

9- J.L. Jorgensen Building (1879)
107-109 N. Broadway


The J.L. Jorgensen Building is located on the northwest corner of Broadway and W. Walnut. The Jorgensen Company, a dry-goods store, was formed in 1876. This building was constructed for the business three years later. In 1887, Frank Blesch, Jorgensen's brother-in-law, joined the company. Together they built a new department store on the east side of Green Bay called the Jorgensen-Blesch Company. In 1931 H.C. Prange bought out the company and occupied the building on the east side. That building was later torn down to make way for the new H.C. Prange Company building.

This building has been torn down and replaced

10- News Depot (1896)
119 N. Broadway


This building once served as a news depot. In the late 1800's, there were a number of area newspapers that one might have purchased. There was the Green Bay Advocate - a weekly Democratic paper, the Der Landmann - a German language paper, the Daily State Gazette - a daily Republican paper and the Free Press. In 1915, these last two papers joined to form the Green Bay Press-Gazette, still in print today.

121-123 N. Broadway

11- Green Bay Review Printing
121/123 N. Broadway


One might have also purchased the Green Bay Review, a weekly newspaper that was printed at 123 N. Broadway. This building was built by James Kerr in 1902. The Review was published there until 1919.

Jones Motor Company (1931)

12- Jones Motor Company (1931)
143 N. Broadway


This building shows a rare example of the use of the Egyptian Revival building style. This style was especially unusual for this type of business. Originally, it was largely used on mausoleums, prisons and Masonic Temples. This style was popular during the 1800's and became popular again during the 1920's and early 30's after King Tut's tomb was found in 1922. During this short period, it was mostly used on larger commercial building and public buildings. The colorful appearance of the building comes from mixing element of the Art Deco Style. The blue terra cotta cornice at the top of the building represents Egyptian sun motif (center top) as well as the green fan detailing over the windows.

Green Bay Ice Cream Company Garaage

13- Green Bay Ice Cream Company Garage (1916
159 N. Broadway


This building was used for ice cream company which was across the street at 154,k 156-162 N. Broadway. The corbelled brick panel in parapet and T-shaped decoration in the upper portion of the corner pilsasters. The front of the building is one-story while the rear is two stories.

317 Dousman Street

14-
317 Dousman

Platten Brothers Building

16- Platten Brothers Building
412, 413/421 Dousman


During the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the Platten  Brothers opened a number of related wholesale businesses on Dousman Street. The building at 412 Dousman was built around 1894 and housed Albert Platten Wholesale Produce. 419-421 Dousman was the newest of the Platten buildings being built in 1913. This was the Henry Platten Grocery Store. The Platten brothers also has a meat market located in the building at 413-415 Dousman, built around 1895. The Platten brothers were wise to choose these types of businesses, ad groceries were one of the most important wholesale industries in the area.

Fort Howard Settlement Gates

16a- Fort Howard Settlement Gates

The Fort Howard Settlement Gates are located between 411 and 413 Dousman Street. The were erected in the 1970's when the surrounding buildings were remodeled and are in keeping with the history of the area. The alley that passes underneath was originally open to traffic, but since have been closed and is now used as a pedestrian walkway. As you walk through the gates, will begin to see the back entrances to many of the buildings on Broadway which this alley once serviced.

Austin Larsen Home (1919)

17- Austin Larsen Home (1909)
616-618 Dousman


This house is especially interesting for its combination of Craftsmen and Mission styles. Both styles use unornamented stucco surfaces., The flat roof is particular to the Mission style. At first glance, this home appears to be a one-story home. Look again and you'll see it's a two story, the upper floor being a shorter attic story.

Mary Brogan Home (1911)

18- Mary Brogan Home (1911)
303 N. Ashland


The Brogan house is a late example f the Queen Anne style. Typical of this style is the full length asymmetrical wrap-around porch and the steeply pitched, irregular shaped roof. Take not of the green tiled roofing material. The placement of the tower at the corner emphasized this as a Queen Anne style. The original carriage house in the rear is of the same design. Both structures are now subdivided into apartments, het retain their original exterior appearance.

712 Dousman Street (McGuire Home)

19- McGuire Home (1903)
712 Dousman


This Queen Anne style property was built by Henrietta McGuire in 1903. The twofeatures taht are typical of the style are the Palladian windows and textured shingles of each gable. Textured shingles were often used to avoid a smooth wall appearance. The original clapboards are now covered in aluminum siding and only part of the original full length porch remains.

716 Dousman - McGuire Home (1912)

20- McGuire Home (1912)
716 Dousman


An American Foursquare style house built in 1912 by Henrietta's husband, Michael. The simple square plan, symmetrical facade, full porch and front dormer window are design elements of this style. The house at 718 Dousman Street is also an American Foursquare style built in the same year Michael McGuire built his home.

805 Dousman

21- Benjamin F. Garlock Home (1899)
805-807 Dousman


Simplicity reigns in Queen Anne style homes built during this time period. Main elements of the Queen Anne style are evident in the wrap-around porch, multiple gables and Palladian windows, but decorative detailing has been dept to a minimum.
Benjamin was a carpenter and contractor. He owned the surrounding land, but later subdivded them into lots. The house itself has been converted into apartments.

803 Oregon Street - D.J. Gallagher Home (1909)

22- D.J. Gallagher Home (1909)
803 Oregon


Changes in building design were seen around the turn of the century. This home combines elements of the Queen Anne and Colonial revival styles. The value of this property is secured due to its well maintained original condition. The owner, Daniel Gallagher, was a conductor for the Chicago and Northwestern Railway.

203 N. Oakland Avenue

23- Nathan Harden Home (1888)
203 N. Oakland


Even though this Folk style house is small, it represents a style you would likely see walking through a neighborhood in Green Bay's early history. This 1 1/2 story rectangular plan was altered in 1910 when the front porch was removed and upper dormer windows were added. Since then, the house has been re-sided with aluminum/vinyl siding.

Antoinette Blesch Home (1888)

24- Antoinette Blesch Home (1888)
161 N. Oakland


The architectural feature standing out on this Queen Anne style subtype is the four distinct facades crated by combining gables, a hip roof and a rectangular plan. The result is a cruciform or cross plan. Of interest is the north side porch and its detailing. The textured wall shingles as well as the clapboard siding are original. The wrap-around porch has been removed and french doors replaced the original front entry.
Antoinette was married to Francis Blesch, who came to Green Bay in 1850 and opened the Blesch Brewery. This home was built for Antoinette by her son Frank after Francis' death in 1879.

149 N. Oakland

25- Frank Blesch Home (1915)
149 N. Oakland


The Neoclassical Revival style is an uncommon choice for design in Green Bay. This is the only example found within this district. Common elements of the style are the fulll height classical columns and full porch that doninates the facade. Also common is the symmetrically balanced windows and center door.
Frank Blesch, the son of Antoinette and Francis Blesch, was born in Fort Howard in 1861. In 1887, Frank opened a dry goods store in Green Bay with his brother-in-law John Jorgensen, called the Jorgensen-Blesch Company.
Frank's wife was very active in various clubs and organizations. She was responsible for the preservation of Old Fort Howard Hospital and the Rio-Porlier-Tank Cottage, both of which are now located at Heritage Hill State Park.
In 1949, Donald F. Larsen Jr., descendant of William Larsen, purchased the home and maintained it as his residence.

140 N. Oakland Avenue - H.J. Selmer Home (1919)

26- H.J. Selmer Home (1919)
140 N. Oakland


The Prairie School style at 140 N. Oakland was built by Henry Selmer in 1919. The design of this house emphasizes horizontal lines, multiple windows, and a low pitched roof. Ten years before building this house, Henry built the American Foursquare style at 130 N. Oakland.
Henry opened a general contracting firm in 1915 called the H.J. Selmer Company. The firm has since expanded and is a prominent business in the construction industry, now known simply as the Selmer Company. Among other things, the firms was responsible for constructing many commercial building in the early 1900's including the east side Jorgensen-Blesch Company store, which has been since torn down.

Harry Fisk Home - 137 N. Oakland Avenue

27- Harry W. Fisk Home (1912)
137 N. Oakland


This Prairie School style house is the second home built by Harry Fisk in this district. Detailing on the house emphasizes horizontal lines. Particular to this style is the low pitched roof with its wide overhanging eaves.
The lot that this home is built on was originally part of a large piece of land owned by Harry's grandfather, Joel Fisk, who built the neighboring house at 123 N. Oakland Avenue. Harry held a number of different job positions in his lifetime including Vice President of the Fisk Land and Lumber Company and director of McCartney National Bank.

 

28-H.J. Selmer Home(1909)
130 N. Oakland

American Foursquare style built in 1909 by H.J. Selmer.

126 N. Oakland Avenue

29- A.J. Selmer Home (1922)
126 N. Oakland


This home repreesents the design element of two styles, Craftsmen and Bungalow. Evident in Craftsmen style is the low pitched gable roof with a wide eave overhang, and decorative false beams under the gables. The Bungalow style features include multiple roof planes, gable dormers, window boxes, and a line of windows that convey horizontally. The house remains well maintained in its original condition.

123 N. Oakland Avenue - Joel Fisk Home (1862-1867)

30- Joel Fisk Home (1862-1867)
123 N. Oakland


This Italianate style home, especially noted by its wide over-hanging eaves supported by decorative brackets and its square cupola on top, was the first house to be built in this district. The original owner, Joel Fisk, was a prominent man in the community. Among other things, he opened a law firm in 1841, served as Register of the U.S. Land Office in Green Bay and as village postmaster for a number of years. In 1849, he began the first fishing operation in the Green Bay/Fort Howard area. In that same year, he platted the City of Fort Howard. Today a park and a street still carry the Fisk name. After Joel's death, his son, William occupied the house until his own death in 1909.
In 1925, the house was sold to the city to be used as a library. Upper floor living quarters were provided for the janitor and his wife in return for upkeep of the property. However, by 1960, the aging house was considered a fire trap. Its doors were eventually closed and the structure was boarded up. The property remained in a state of disrepair until Wisconsin Equipment and Systems purchased it. They have made great efforts to restore it to its original condition and to preserve the Shakespearean garden located on the west side of the lot.

816 Shawano Avenue

31- Harry Mock Home (1930)
816 Shawano


The Mock house is a late example of the American Foursquare style. Unlike other Foursquare homes, this has an asymmetrical facade with the door placed on the left rather than in the center. O special interest is the large Chicago style picture window on the first floor.
Harry Mock was a supervisor for the Chicago and Northwestern railroad which was the first railroad to locate in the Fort Howard/Green Bay area.

820 Shawano Avenue

32- F.D. Rafeld Home (1926)
820 Shawano


Rafeld, a manager at Metropolitan Life Insurance, chose to use element of the Tudor Revival style when he had this home built in 1926. These elements include the steeply pitched roof, prominent gables, and a massive chimney.

830 Shawano Avenue

834 Shawano Avenue

33-George W. Fisk Homes
830 and 834 Shawano

George, like his brother Harry, was able to build two homes on the large piece of land that belonged to their grandfather, Joel Fisk. His second home, located at 830 Shawano Avenue,  was built in 1915 in Prairie School style. It serves as one of the best examples of this style in Green Bay. The house is almost completely in original condition although the full width porch has since been replaced by a small one.
The first home built by George sometime around 1890, is located at 834 Shawano Avenue. This house was originally built in the Queen Anne, Cross Gable style, but in the 1920's it was completely remodeled to the Colonial Revival style. Many of the windows and the side porch were altered. In addition, the roof was extended to cover the porch. Sidelights and fanlight were also added at this time.
Like Harry, George was involved in the family business. He served as the secretary of the Fisk Land and Lumber Company.
He and his brothers also started their own firm called the Fisk Insurance Agency.

840 Shawano Avenue

34- Harry Fisk Home (1890)
840 Shawano


This was the first home built by Harry Fisk in this historic district. Although it has since been greatly altered, many of its Queen Anne style elements are still visible including its steeply pitch roof, dominant front gable and asymmetrical facade. Over the years, the house has been resided with asbestos shingle, the original full width porch has been removed and secondary entrances have been added. The house now serves as apartments.