City of Green Bay
City Home Office Hours Contact Us
Mayors of Green Bay
W.C.E. Thomas
Francis X. Desnoyers
H. E. Eastman
Burley Follett
E. H. Ellis
Henry S. Baird
Nathan Goodell
M. P. Lindsley
C. D. Robinson
James S. Marshall
Anton Klaus
Alonzo Kimball
Dr. C. E. Crane
F. S. Ellis
J. C. Neville
J. H. M. Wigman
W. J. Abrams
Charles Hartung
Arthur C. Neville
James H. Elmore
Frank B. Desnoyers
Simon J. Murphy, Jr.
J. H. Tayler
Dr. Robert E. Minahan
Winford Abrams
Elmer S. Hall
Wenzel Wiesner
James H. McGillan
John V. Diener
John S. Farrell
Alex Biemeret
Dominic Olejniczak
Otto Rachals
Roman Denissen
Donald Tilleman
Harris Burgoyne
Thomas Atkinson
Michael Monfils
Samuel J. Halloin
Paul F. Jadin
James J. Schmitt

 

 

 

 

Dominic Olejniczak
(1908 - 1989)

Mayor Dominic Olejniczak
Mayor Dominic Olejniczak 1945 -1955

Dominic Olejniczak was born on August 18, 1908, in Green Bay to John A. and Victoria Olejniczak. He was a lifelong resident of the city and on November 24, 1938, married Gina Bettine at St. Francis Xavier Cathedral. They had two sons, Tom and Mark.

He served as alderman from 1936 to 1944 and as mayor for five terms from 1945 to 1955. By profession, he was a real estate broker. He was active in many associations, including the Knights of Columbus and Elks Club. He received the Knighthood of St. Gregory from Bishop Wycislo and an honorary Doctorate of Law Degree from St. Norbert College in 1986. He was the first lay President of Premontre High School (later changed to Notre Dame de la Baie Academy).

During his tenure as mayor, the city built the pipeline to Lake Michigan for its water The beltline around the city was planned and the planned development concept came about, which he supported.

He was especially interested in the Green Bay Packers and became President of the Packer Board on April 28, 1958, at a time when they were struggling. The Packers hadn't had a winning season in ten years and just finished their worst season ever with a dismal 1-10 record.

Lake Michigan Pipeline

Lake Michigan pipeline, 1950.
Neville Public Museum

He soon headed the search committee that brought Vince Lombardi to Green Bay as coach and general manager, which molded the way for the greatest era in the team's history.

While Lombardi was busy winning five championships, Dominic was busy setting fiscal policies that built up a multimillion dollar surplus.

After Lombardi's departure, there were three mediocre years under Coach Phil Bengston and again under Coach Dan Devine. Devine's departure in 1974 brought Bart Starr back as coach and general manager, and for a while brought tranquillity back to the organization.

Dominic's love for the Packers began when the team was young. He was attending East High School and lived not far from the stadium which at that time was located on East High School grounds. Restoration of that stadium was completed in 2002. At that time, a youngster could walk into the stadium with a player and carry his headgear and Dominic was among them. His interest never waned. He continued to be an ardent backer during his years as alderman and as mayor. On July 10, 1950, he was named to the Packers Board of Directors and the bond grew stronger. In his dual role as mayor and board member that year, he was a leader in the civic drive that netted more than $100,000 and helped save the franchise.

New City Stadium

City Stadium in 1957 to the far left and the new Veteran's Memorial Arena.
Green Bay Planning

He was named to the team's Executive Committee in January 1952 and six years later became its president. He was inducted into the Packer Hall of Fame on February 3, 1979.

After serving 24 years as Packer President, more than anyone in the team's history, Dominic Olejniczak resigned as president on June 1, 1982, and was succeeded by Judge Robert J. Parins.

Dominic Olejniczak died at age 80 after suffering numerous strokes.

 

 

Washington Street 1952 Washington Street looking north from Walnut Street
Neville Public Museum
Main Street Downtown Green Bay 1950's
Main Street
Cedar Street Downtown Green Bay 1950's
Cedar Street
City Bus 1947 model This 1947 bus was part of the fleet of buses operated by Wisconsin Public Service Corporation. It was restored in the 1990's and was used in parades and special events. It has since been returned to Wisconsin Public Service Corporation.